Schedule your upgrade late and carefully adhere to the Component Rules.

From: Tobias Markmann [mailto:tmarkm...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:12 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Keep Desktop Shortcuts and Pinned Task Bar Icons with
Upgrades

Hi,

I'm currently trying to fix remaining issues in our WiX-based installer.

The current issue I'm trying to fix is WiX/MSI behavior when upgrading an
installation. Upgrading mostly does an uninstallation of the previous version
and installs the new version.

This automatically means that shortcuts of the old version are deleted and new
shortcuts installed. This process has two issues:

1. If the user has pinned an application to the task bar, the deinstallation
will result in a broken shortcut in the task bar.
2. The position of desktop shortcuts is lost because the desktop shortcut is
deleted and a new one is installed. (I don't use desktop shortcuts yet.)

I've tried some hacks/workarounds found on the internet. None of them worked
for me.

Last change I tried is using <MajorUpgrade RemoveFeatures="Core" ... />, with
'Core' describing all features except the shortcuts. This basically worked,
pinned shortcuts still worked. However, there is the ugly side effect that the
old version is still registered under "Programs & Features", probably because I
told to keep the shortcuts.

How do you handle this issue?
Is there a way to migrate the old version "Shortcuts" to the newer version
"Shortcuts"?
Is there some diff method, so MSI detects that the upgrade will basically setup
the same shortcuts so that it won't remove them in the first place.

Thanks for any pointers and cheers,
Tobias