If you're writing code to deal with this, can't you compare the
installed version (ProductCode, ProductVersion) with the download
version and skip the download? I'm assuming you may know some of this
in advance, and that they don't change the version at the download
location too often or you'll need to download it every time anyway.
Phil Wilson