I would be surprised if wixstdba supported downgrades but Burn does. Did your
test below use wixstdba?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Cornelius [mailto:martin.cornel...@datron.de]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 07:52
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Downgrading a Bundle ?

@Rob : I don't know why it doesn't work, but i made some experiments and can
confirm THAT it doesn't work in 3.9R2. : If i try to downgrade a bundle, a
message pops up telling that a higher version of the bundle is already
installed, which I first have to uninstall.

However, having read some discussions and reasoning myself a bit about this
issue, i think that this behaviour is 'works as designed' and is not too bad.
By default, you also cannot downgrade a 'plain' MSI, and there are some good
reasons for this default behaviour, as i learned meanwhile. You CAN build a
down gradable MSI (<MajorUpgrade AllowDowngrades="yes">), but this always
raises an ICE warning. If a bundle containing a chain of MSIs allowed
downgrading, this could in generally only work reliably if all contained MSIs
were also downgradeable. If some of them were not, the downgrade of the bundle
would work under certain conditions, and sometimes fail - could be quite
confusing to the end user.

On the other hand, if an end user desperately has to downgrade,  with the
current implementation she has the option to first uninstall the bundle (as
advised in the error message), and then reinstall the old version. From my
point of view, that's sufficient and pretty clear.