On 5/7/2015 11:04 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have a look at InstallShield Limited in VS 2010 and up. Under the Application
> Information > General Information section all I do is set the ALLUSERS switch
> to "ALLUSERS=""(Per-user installation).
>
> Then in the Application Files area I have it install to Program Files. When I
> run the .msi the UAC dialog comes up and I select Yes and it installs without
> issue.

Yeah, I believe, technically, a true per-user installation should never
trigger a UAC prompt.

If you _need_ to replicate _that_ behavior in WiX, try removing the
installScope declaration entirely, and set ALLUSERS="". That will
probably cause Windows Installer to do a UAC bump, so you can access
Program Files.

That said, installing to Program Files really isn't "per-user"... and I
suspect someone else on this list will be able to provide a better
explanation of why trying to continue down the same path is a horrible
idea, and if there are scenarios where it might break?

> The process is slightly different for Setup and Deployment but still similar
> that I set it to per-user and install to Program Files without issue.
>
> This is something for you to think about anyway.
>
> Also over the last 15 - 18 years I have never installed an application on any
> of my computers to anywhere other than Program Files; whether it was
> per-machine or not.
>
> I didn't know users/<user name>/AppData/Local/Programs existed until now.

Just out of curiosity, are you accessing that by setting
MSIINSTALLPERUSER = 1 ?

-Zig