From: Griesshammer, Christoph (GE Healthcare)
[mailto:christoph.griessham...@ge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:02 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Hiding UpgradeCode Attribute Warning

Jacob,

I'm already sabotaged. The scenario is:

Another team developed an InstallShield package for an msi, and a Wise package
for an exe. The packages didn't even match in what they were delivering (a
headache in itself). They didn't follow the installer rules. What they did, was
deliver to a temp directory, then ran a "custom action" .bat file to copy the
files to a version directory within the main directory for the product. But
there's also common files between versions, so there's logic about whether to
replace those or not. Anyways, it breaks all the rules about how to specify
components, so the installer has no idea of what files are actually there.

So there were so many installation defects, that now we had to come in to clean
up their install. But we can't reuse GUIDs and their program doesn't even show
up in the add/remove programs.

And just to make everything more fun, you can have multiple versions of the
product installed at the same time.

It's causing a headache, because you can't do an upgrade, but we can't even
follow normal rules of adding shared GUIDs to components between versions. We
have resorted to completely removing the uninstall option if a legacy product
is installed (ridiculous, right?).

So I need to suppress the upgrade, because the idea of an upgrade is really
just an install of a different version.

If you have a way better way to go around this, please feel free to educate me.
Because this is also my first WiX project, and I'm just working with what I got.

Christoph