    The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for July 15, 1999

                       boreal [adj. BOR-ee-ul]

[Note: Due to server problems -- now fixed -- we did not send out
Cool Word of the Day yesterday.  Our apologies!]

If something is boreal, then it is in or from the north.  A more specific
sense of the word relates to the northern, coniferous forests of the world.
Example: "The boreal forests of Canada extend all the way to the edge of
the tundra."

The Roman god of the north wind, Boreas, is the source of this word.  His
name in turn was derived from the Greek boreios (coming from the north).
The opposite of boreal is austral, from the Latin auster (south).

The Romans had a legend about the "Hyperboreoi," a race of people who were
from "above the north," beyond the reach of Boreas.  They lived in a land
of perpetual sunshine.  From their name, we have hyperborean [adj.
HY-pur-BOR-ee-un], describing anything relating to the extreme north,
especially people indigenous to these areas, such as Eskimos.

We also have the aurora borealis (northern lights) which shimmer in the
arctic sky, and their opposite, the aurora australis.

Today's sponsor:   ACSI Bulk Inks   <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>

WHY pay $30 for a new inkjet cartridge, when you can refill
your current one 10 times for $21.95 with our 450 ml pint bottles.
Free, easy on-line instructions. Color and photo inks too.
Call us now Toll Free: 1-888-728-2465 VISA/MC/AMEX
ACSI Bulk Inks:  <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>
Mention Cool-Word and save $5 on shipping/handling