It seems that the menus in 2.7 are becoming _extremely_ splintered. Do we really need ELEVEN menus???

By breaking things out so much, I think we're making the layout more "brittle" -- less open to changes or additions. Write/Manage was a much stronger setup than Posts/Pages/Links/Media. Especially as plugins add abilities to the system, authors are going to end up having to make more top-level menus because we're losing the more generalized topics such as "write" and "manage". Either that or we're all going to have a thousand things all crammed under "tools" because that's going to be the only logical place left....

"Hmmm... I used the have the calendar page under 'Manage'. Huh. I guess.... Tools?"

"Well, is the 'top of every page' notice (from plugin x) a page or post? Neither, really. It used to be under Write. Guess I have to stick it under Tools...?"

That was two good examples just off the top of my head. We're removing much of the flexibility of the interface by making Top Level menus so specialized.

As much as I appreciate feedback, I think designing this via poll is going to give us the proverbial "horse made by a committee". The geeks in charge (in which I, some tiny bit, include myself) need to have a longer view of things.

We can't overlook this, guys, or we're going to end up having to do _another_ redesign two months from now when all these issues come out in real-world use.

Sincerely,

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider