I don't want to delete the "maybe" plugins because I'll forget them between now and when I think I'll need them. What I do sometimes is go through the deactivated plugins and .zip them up. That way: 1) they can't be exploited, 2) no update notifications, 3) no clutter on the plugins screen, though they are there when I go in via FTP.

Stephen