Then for most if not all ".# " updates, deactivating plugins should not be neccessary at all. However, for major milestones it's probably a very good idea to deactivate all active plugins beforehand. Then again, it's probably a very good idea not to use the core auto-upgrade feature at all when upgrading to the next major milestone anyway.