On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:27 PM, DD32 wrote:

2009/1/2 Stephen Rider <wp-hack...@striderweb.com>:
On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:48 AM, DD32 wrote:
Anyway, Heres an alpha release of a plugin i'm working on:
http://dd32.id.au/files/core-control.zip

cURL:  An Error has occured: name lookup timed out

I Disabled cURL

PHP fopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php

PHP fsockopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php

I somewhat thought that would happen, I dont know why, But i suspect
cURL bundled with PHP with MAMP is crippled.. or maybe the timeout for
curl's lookup is just too short.. no idea why

I'm quite sure something changed with WP 2.7. This all worked before -- I didn't change MAMP, but I did upgrade WP. Though again, it *was* working with WP 2.7 betas, so maybe something else on my computer is screwy....

Plugin update check worked -- no new updated found.
(Incidentally, Update *check* has been working, just no the actual
auto-update on plugins
Which is odd.. Given that if one fails, they should both fail.. It
could just be that cURL works 50% of the time..

It's a pretty precise 50%. Update checking worked (seemingly) normally, but actual updates failed every time.

The plugin looks as though it has good potential for troubleshooting and certain development tasks. (Actually the ability to "check for update now" is going to help me with another thing I'm working on, so... Cool! :-)

Thats the main purpose of it :) But i'm planning on basing a few small
modules off it, I'm sick of building a dozen tiny plugins for random
uses which might only be used once, I wanted something i could just
add it as a seperate module which would hopefully be of use to someone
else in some form :) -

BTW, I updated your core plugin this morning, and now the front page is blank. (The one that lets me turn modules on/off.)

That.. And some way I could update the plugin
without having to submit the 1-liner to wordpress.org..
Got any thoughts on other modules which would be helpful to plugin developers?

You might put in a module that shows everything in the wp-cron and allows the user to run them with a button. A sort of stripped-down crontrol.

You could also put in something that shows the wp-rewrite info and/or the mod_rewrite stuff that WP writes to .htaccess

As for existing "one-liner" plugins, how about...

Toggle post revisions and autosave:
http://exper.3drecursions.com/2008/07/25/disable-revisions-and-autosave-plugin/

At any rate, you might set your plugin up so that third-party devs can make modules. That probably includes making a "module" folder *outside* of your plugin's folder, so the third-party modules are not overwritten on auto-update. (I really wish WordPress would figure out a standard for such things -- there are a lot of plugins that allows third-party add-on files.)

Stephen