Hey Jeff,

Not too sure which update notification you're referring to whether it's the small highlighted "icon" with a number indicating the number of updates available seen to the right of Dashboard and plugins sub-menus when an update(s) is available (or when you hover over the Dashboard and Plugins menu icons when the menus are collapsed) or if, in your list of installed plugins, the update notification is not appearing under the associated plugin once the list appears. Anyway...

I attempted to duplicate the problem by changing the version of one of my active plugins to a previous version number. Once that was done, the update notification icon appeared in both the Dashboard menu and the Plugins menu. I first clicked on Dashboard/Updates to make sure the plugin was listed in the available plugin updates section--it was and the update icon was still there next to the Dashboard and Plugins menus. I then clicked on "Plugins" in the Plugins menu and this took me to my list of installed plugins, the update icon was also still there by both menus. In my plugins list, under the plugin with the changed version number, was the more detailed update notification with the link to view the details of the update and the link to update the plugin automatically.

This is the way it has always worked for me since they introduced automatic updating along and the little update "icons" that show the number of updates available as described above. To me this is how it was designed to work.

Does this help or did I miss something you saw...or did not see as the case may be. ;-)