Thanks, {bb}. hopefully I’ll be applying this process to all 20 games of the Championship, if I can resolve a few details. Here’s how it works out. If you read chess notation, it should be fairly straightforward. The #s are drawn from a gamut of 64 pitches based on the placement of moves on the board. (a1 = 1, a2 = 2, . . b1 = 9, b2 = 10, . . . h8 = 64.) The one quirk I add is that castling (O - O) produces a dyad for the 2 moves instead of a single note. Repeated values are tied; otherwise, duration is kept constant.

I hope to add complexity in future mappings, but figuring out how to write an algorithm that determines what chess piece is being selected purely from the chess notation is extraordinarily difficult! For instance, the first move below, d4, implies that the reader knows that one and only one pawn can make this move. Right now, I’m not sure how to write the appropriate code so that a dumb computer with no understanding of the rules can figure this out on its own.

0 d4 27
1 Nf6 45
2 c4 19
3 e6 37