Hi Kay,

Apologies for the long rave below...

The most detailed article on image replacement options is Dave Shea's image
replacement page:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revised-image-replacement/

However, all of these image replacement methods have serious downsides that
should be explained to designers before they jump on them as a solution.

1. image scaling
People with vision impairment (which is a surprisingly large percentage of
the general population) are not able to scale an image up in the same way
that they can with HTML text (excluding Opera's full page zoom).

2. images turned off
As mentioned, people browsing with images turned off may not see any
heading, which is the worst of all outcomes.

3. "display: none"
Some image replacement method (including FIR) have been shown to be
completely unusable for screen readers. Basically anything that is hidden
using display: none is also hidden for a large percentage of screen readers.
The Lindsay method is better than most in this area as it doesn't really
hide the content, just shrinks it and tucks it away  :)

4. user style sheets
Mark Stanton has mentioned this in the past but it is worth bringing up
again. There are three types of style sheets interacting on any web page -
browser style sheets, user style sheets and author style sheets (the ones
you develop). A user can set their hn styles to a size and colour and also
assign "!important". This has more weight and will therefore over-ride any
author rules. This could affect any of the "shrink and tucked away" methods.

5. maintenance
An image is much harder to adjust or replace at a later date than html text
- a vital point on a large website.

6. speed
Every image on the page adds download time. A CSS style applied to a
standard hn tag will be cached and used throughout the site. The size
differences can be significant - especially on bigger sites.

7. search engines
This argument is a little harder to justify as some image replacement method
are still based around hn tags - as far as Google is concerned they are
still standard hn content. However, image replacement methods that do not
use hn's as a basis are completely missing any semantic meaning.

8. "content" in a css file
John Allsopp (one of the original CSS guru's) explains this better than I
can...  He says "If it is bad to put presentation on the page, how much
worse is it to put presentation inside the CSS file? It is fundamentally
unsound."

Finally a late afternoon rant (which should be seen as opinion - not
fact)...

There are times when images for text could be considered critical - page
headers, logos, logotypes and main page banners.

However, there are many times when this is not the case. The argument for
using images for multiple subheadings on a page (keep in mind we re not
talking about major banners or branding here) sometimes comes down to a lack
of understanding about the web (as well as a lack of understanding about
large site maintenance).

Some web designers are stuck in a "print mentality".  I was stuck in this
mindset for years. It took years of Peter arguing with me till the message
got through - the web is not print!

Designers with this mindset see their role as controlling an overall visual
styles into all levels of a website. They do not understand that the web is
bigger that the 5 main browsers or what you see on your own desktop. The web
includes devices like screen readers, braille readers, printers, fridges,
mobile phones/hand helds, normal browsers and text browsers. This will
increasingly become part of the web experience as new  web devices come onto
the market. On many of these devices, graphic subheadings mean nothing.

It can even be argued that content is accessed more often on some sites via
RSS/Atom/XML feeds than using the usual HTML pages. In these instances, the
visual style of the content is not included at all - making content
accessible to the widest range of users and devices is the key.

Headings that are produced using HTML text combined with CSS are the
ultimate web solution as they are infinitely flexible, can be styled to suit
particular devices and are completely accessible to any device.

Rather than fighting against the limitations of the web, designers should be
embracing these limitations and working within them. There are numerous
examples where designers have produced staggeringly good websites while
working within these limitations. One quick example (by Anton - a WSG
member) of HTML text that has been heavily styled to achieve a graphic
result is here :
http://standardice.com/experimental/magazines.html

Time to do some designer convertin'  :)
Russ