overflow:hidden simply suggests that whetever text/image  if overflows  will be
automatically get hidden and hence the case. So read it like if something
overflows it should  be hidden :)

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Jody Tate <jt...@uw.edu> wrote:

From: Jody Tate <jt...@uw.edu>
Subject: [WSG] the mysteries of overflow: hidden
To: "wsg@webstandardsgroup.org" <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 12:20 AM

(I'm a list lurker. Also, apologies if this has been covered before.)

In CSS, setting a div to "overflow: hidden" solves a problem it shouldn't--at
least from the name of the property and value, it seems like it shouldn't.

Often I'll have text, e.g. an h1, overflowing its containing/parent div, but
setting the containing/parent div to "overflow: hidden" causes the parent div
to set its height in a way that the formerly overflowing text no longer
overflows.

I've seen this happen for years. Another developer showed me this fix years
ago. But over the years, I've never read an explanation why "overflow: hidden"
fixes a problem its name implies it wouldn't.

Have others seen this? Any explanations?

-jody