Hi James

I don't get the horizontal scroller in either IE6 or Mozilla/FB or Opera7 (need to check Kafari)... here's the CSS:

#stupidclient
{
border : 3px inset #aaa;
background-color : #fff;
height : 200px;
width : auto;
overflow : auto;
padding : 2px;
}

It has a fixed height, auto width. If I set the width to fixed it (horiz scroll) appears...

Your other option is to repeatedly tap your client on the head with a toffee hammer until they see the light of day.

Regards
James

James Silva wrote:

so... i thought, using the overflow property would work nicely on the main
content DIV. Problem is, it leaves an ugly horizontal scrollbar across the
bottom. So, next best option was to use a IE only property, "overflow-y"
(not ideal, i know).

In order for the IE only overflow-y to work, i need to set a fixed height on
the DIV. This causes Moz based browsers to effectively overflow the text
OUTSIDE the boundary of the containing div. Meaning the footer now sits at
the END of the DIV, while the text overflows straight over footer (its ugly,
trust me). Opera (and hopefully other browsers) automatically resize the
height to accommodate the content (which is a reasonable compromise).

So, i could leave the IE only scroll effect in place *if* i could somehow
hide the HEIGHT property from Moz based browsers...