Pete,

I have a square as a list-style-type, but it's sitting on the baseline of the text. Is there a way to get it to sit in the middle of the x-height of the text?

Not as far as I'm aware, but if you make a graphic bullet you can position it as follows:

#topbanner ul
{
        list-style-type: none;
}

#topbanner li {
font-size: 1em;
background: url(images/top_back_arrow.gif) no-repeat 0 0.3em;
padding-left: 1.2em;
 }

If you were using a link, you could put the image into the "a" code, but include the background image with it. This would allow you to change the colour of both the square and the background, both for their initial and :hover states.

-Hugh Todd

(Basis for this code found on stopdesign.com)