Hi Peter

Yes, you wouldn't want to check in them all. Of course their are outliers, such as organisations with NS4 installed as the default browser, but other than those situations it comes down to a business and standards based (future business :D ) decision:

Business:
How long is it going to take you to get a website release passable to those who use older browsers versus the time it takes to mention an upgrade path to those users? It has been a lot easier for me to give a hint for someone to upgrade than hack code to make things work in applications that weren't designed for what you are trying to do.
So scratch NS4.8 and less.
(Added to the general confusion is that Netscape 4.8 was released in Aug 2002, about 18 months after NS6 was branched from Mozilla and about a year after NS7 was branched. Makes some sort of sense!)

Business/Standards
Netscape 6 was branched from an alpha release of Mozilla code in late 2000 or so -- it's buggy. Generally we wouldn't support an 0.6-0.9 release of Mozilla so we shouldn't concern ourselves with NS6 (but it does do most things better than 4). Still, scratch 6.x

Standards:
That leaves us with Netscape7, branched from Mozilla ~1.01. It's based on a stable release of Mozilla and adds some AIM and ICQ guff - we should support it (it's easy to support) even though we will most likely not see another NS browser.

Some links:
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/milestones.html
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/mozilla-faq.html
http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html

HTH
James

BTW Sorry if this goes out of a thread, I am in between PC's at the mo.

Re: Netscape versions

By Universal Head
/Mon 15 Mar 2004 at 05:28 PM/

This is interesting - but lots of people still use Navigator right?

I guess I was asking the difference between build numbers too, because
the Netscape site has versions 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 6.1, 4.7, 4.8 4.6, 4.5,
4.0, 3.0 and 2.0. Obviously I don't want have to check in them all ...