I attended earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a double emphasis in Graphic Design and Photography. This was between 1995 and 2000, and I had no "formal" training in Web Design. They didn't even offer classes for it at my school, other than some Flash stuff in a Multimedia class (which i never took).

I taught myself HTML, etc., after my parents got AOL in 1995 and I was creating a homepage using their personal publisher software. I wanted to do more, so I got a book on HTML.

I was able to blend my in-depth knowledge of HTML (started out coding in notepad, and still handcoding today) and my new knowledge of design fundamentals (even though they were for print) and apply it to my web designs.

I was also lucky enough to get jobs in college doing web design (2 years for the school newspaper and 2 years for a computer/networking firm), so i was able to refine my skills in a "real world" setting.

I also just paid attention to what was happening on the web. Glass Dog was a favorite hangout of mine back then, as well as the Builder.com boards.

A degree helps. It helps your employer to see you as a professional, not just some "kid who like to design". Often times you can do well without a degree, but why risk it.

-----
Jeremy Flint
www.jeremyflint.com

Gabriel Vasquez wrote:
Hi Everyone, I apologize if this is off topic but this is one of the few
places that I would be able to talk to web designers and get their opinions
on this.

I've been attending school to get an Associates degree in Digital Media. The
program is 18 months and ranges from html to 3d graphics. I'm already more
than halfway through my courses, but I find that I hit a road block; I'm not
really learning anything. We are just now getting into *basic* css, and
javascript in dreamweaver (which I already know how to do, even though I
prefer to hand-code). The program is now focusing on 3D animation but that's
really not what I'm into at all. I just want to do web design: xhtml, css,
ECMAScript/DOM, etc. -- no more, no less. I don't feel I should spend the
money for something I'm not getting anything out of.

My question to you is this: Do you think it would be wise for me to finish
the program and get the degree even though I'm not learning what I want to
be learning, or should I just call it off and focus on web design?

TIA in advanced for your feedback!

Gabriel