> From: Chris Blown
[...]
> One of the things that I find hard to believe in this whole debate is
> that tables are some how seen as "a non standards based approach".

I see that view a lot from people who just discovered the beauty of CSS,
and are going a bit mad in the fight to kill off tables, even when they're
the appropriate markup to use (tabular data).

> Of
> course an argument could be made that tables only exist in
> the standard
> for legacy reasons, since dropping them would break the whole web.

Well, for tabular data, there is *no* equivalent with the same
semantic and structural properties of a well written, multi-row, multi-column
table. Using divs and spans and stuff to recreate a table look without
tables for tabular data shows a complete misunderstanding of what the
actual purpose of the markup is all about. Yes, you may end up eliminating
every single table, and get a nice glowing warm feeling...but you've effectively
broken any relationship which was defined between the various headings and
the data cells, turning well formatted tabular information into a meaningless
mess...

> does the fact that we use them for other purposes make it wrong?

Of course not. However, by the same reasoning, it doesn't make it right
to pervert the element's original purpose, the same way that blockquote should
not be perverted to get visual indentations, for instance...it doesn't make
the actual blockquote element wrong, but it shouldn't be used in that way.
It's the perversion of purpose that is wrong.

> The popular response to Andy's article that using the odd
> table without
> nesting them, is simple practical advice. I don't really think the odd
> table is that detrimental to our efforts of advocating web standards.

Exactly. As long as the designers/developers are making the decision in
full knowledge that there might be a better way to handle the situation without
having to resort to tables, but that - due to time constraints, need for
legacy browser support (in a visual/layout sense), work with multiple authors
who may not be up to speed with table-less layout - in this particular situation
using a table will do for now.

Just going through this email, I hope I'm not giving the impression that
I'm in disagreement with you...I see that we're both coming from the same
pragmatic approach. Just filling in the other side of the argument kind of thing...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk