russ - maxdesign wrote:

Floats are suppose to extend past bottom of a container.

That statement is correct in this instance but might be slightly misleading.
It would be better to say that the heights of floated items are ignored by
the parent container, so there is a possibility they may poke out the bottom
of the parent container. This 'poking out' is dependant on what other
content is inside the container.

Thank you; that's what I had meant.

A third method is outlined in great detail here:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html

While the programmer in me loves JavaScript, the Web pro in me hates it. I would recommend doing the sniffing for IE/Mac server side and only adding it if needed (I keep both sides happy that way).