At to whether a list of thumbs is truly tabular ... I think not. It will
visually appear such but it's not a grid -- for which tables should be used,
as a matrix.

Tables have rows and columns at which cells intersect as combined related
values; a contiguous list of thumbs and associated captions have no common
properties other than being a picture and text and *will make sense in
isolation*.

But you're not going to like what I've discovered as a result of
experimenting with tables ...

The bloody things don't inherit relative (em- and percentage-based) font and
line-size attributes in IE 5/5.1, which means more bloody CSS and/or markup
to compensate for that cock-up.

Don't you just love being a standards-compliant developer :o(

So as I see it, it's a question of the lesser of two evils: wrap each image
and associated caption in another container and bulk the markup or use
semantically incorrect cells and bulk up the CSS to cope with IE's
shortcomings.

Funnily enough, the client previewed the near-finished site update yesterday
and was delighted ... then asked if I could centre the thumbs ...

I shall endeavour to persevere :o)

There is always a resolution

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer (with attitude)
http://www.seowebsitepromotion.com
http://www.gawds.org

solely for the use of the individual or body to whom they are addressed.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by Norton
AntiVirus for the presence of computer viruses. If this message is received
in error, please accept our apologies.