> From: Hugh Todd

> Just tried it with a preview version of Apple's Spoken Interface in
> Safari. I stuck your code into the middle of a standard form
> element to
> see what would happen, and it read it as "S" "earch". I'd be
> interested
> to know why (how the reader determines what to read and how).

Well, in simple terms, the readers will be looking for complete words.
If something is interrupted - be it by a space, a  , (probably even)
&shy, or indeed is broken up by separating bits of it in different
elements (even if they're inline, like <span>) - it will be seen as
two separate words. Simple as that...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford