From: "Andrew Sione Taumoefolau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 8:02 AM
Subject: RE: [WSG] invalid xhtml

Hi Patrick,

> I beg to differ on this hair-splitting point:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/#text-html
>
> "[XHTML1] defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
> 4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html"

I'm not sure that we differ on this point. The W3C dictates that we MAY
(1) serve XHTML1 as HTML. Good sense(2) argues that we SHOULD serve
XHTML as application/xhtml+xml. Doing otherwise is disingenuous(3) and
could introduce subtle bugs, and lord knows we have enough subtle bugs
to work around as is.

Cheers,

Andrew Taumoefolau

1. Apologies for busting out the RFC language.
2. http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
3. We ought to be proud that we're serving xml! :)