Oops...mybad
http://matrix.squiz.net/

Hi Kay,
I found this site yesterday.  I think this is something like what you
are looking for.
It looks like, just for the top header image, they embed 3 images in the
html, then put a background image (4th image) that's styled to repeat
along the width of the view port, no matter what size it is.  It's a
great effect.

Btw, all the images are in the html file, not in the .css file if you're
going to have a look.
-Avril

/***snip ***/
The design was initially created to be fixed width, typical blog style
centered and dropshadowed with curvy panels, but the client wanted it to
be fluid (or at least expand to higher resolutions). Due to some swirly
background work, the only place the design can safely expand is through
the centre.

That means a background graphic hanging off the left hand side, another
hanging off the right hand side, and another background image as the
main panel background.

Does anyone know of a layout doing this that I can steal implementation
ideas from? I'm trying to avoid using a table, although I may go that
route, because I'd like to use absolute positioning to make the source
order search engine friendly.

Thanks for any pointers...

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004