Hi,

Food for thought, thanks for pointing out the fundamental error.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 04:01 PM, Nick Gleitzman wrote:

Chris Kennon wrote:

The four programs across have started a chain of DIVS that seem more cumbersome than table cells. How would one recommend recreating this in semantically correct CSS, without the tangled mess of DIVS I've birthed.

Chris, before anything else, you have a fundamental error in your CSS that you should correct: you can't have both an id and a class with the same name (i.e. #high2, .high2). This is going to cause conflicts you can do without.

NB also that

div#high1, #high2 {...}

is not the same as

div#high1, div#high2 {...}

The first means 'apply this set of style rules to the div with id high1, and any other element with id high2'. If you want the rule to apply to div#high1 and div#high2, you have to list them in their complete form as multiple selectors.

As far as the semantic of the markup goes, I'll repeat what's been posted here often: if data looks like it should be presented in a table, use a table. Just make sure you use table summary, <thead>, etc, to ensure accessibility. There again, I don't have a problem with your example divs, in principle. With the correct use of classes (or indeed descendant selectors), you have the hooks in the markup to be able to change your layout in ways from minor presentation tweaks to page layout revisions, without touching the markup at all.

My 2c.

Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/

                                                -Albert Einstein