Hi Shane,
Well, I don't know if it is okay but I've done it on more than one occasion.

I have noticed that Internet explorer puts a nasty margin on empty divs, that might be something to watch out for.

Shane Helm wrote:

I am working on my second CSS & XHTML site.
Home page thus far: http://sonze.com/lange/index.html
CSS for the page: http://sonze.com/lange/css/master.css

I have some empty div tags to be able to make a graphic a background image since this presentation is common to all pages.
For example in my html:

My CSS for "header3"> is as follows:
#header3
    {
    position: relative;
    width: 836px;
    height: 37px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding: 0px;
    background: #2A331F url(../img/header3.gif) no-repeat;
    }

Since I this is only my second site using Web Standards, I'm unsure if leaving a div tag empty is okay or not. Or is there another method I should be using?

Thank you very much, Shane Helm

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004