John:
(http://www.drzeus.net/redesign/cslewis/http://www.drzeus.net/redesign/cslewis/style.css)
Allthought your xhtml is valid, the css wasn't validating, so I cleaned up some errors, I do not know if this works with the erros, but, after cleaning, making:

#tabmenu a.active:link, #tabmenu li a.active:link, #tabmenu a.active, #tabmenu li a.active {
background: #ffc;
border-top: 1px solid #ffc;
z-index: 30;
}

gets the active link working on:

win IEsp2 6.0,
Mozilla 1.8a,
Opera 7.5,
Netscape 7.1,
Mozilla FireFox 1.0 (preview release)

Cleaning:
You had a couple of "padding: 5;" without the unit, a "color:..." without the ";" and ":root" seems not to be recognized by the w3c parser - leaving it there work fine anyway.
Isabel Santos

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004