Regarding external links in new window, like many of you I have the usual concerns. Although most users are familiar with the idea of closing external windows, some users will be confused. Some people with cognitive disabilities fit this description. Also changing the current window or popping up new windows can be very disorienting to users who cannot see that this has happened.

Most users of assistive technology prefer not having to deal with multiple browser windows, especially unannounced ones. It's a spatial orientation issue. Keeping focus on multiple windows is often problematic for people with visual impairments.

Finally, alternative user agents may not support multiple screen windows, and/or older machines may experience a performance hit if running multiple browser windows.

If a client insists on having a link open in a new window, I would suggest explicitly warning the user with a clear indication that the page will open in a different window. Also it is a good idea to provide a title attribute with a description indicating that the link opens a new window.

Some references:
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/usability#popups

Laura
Laura L. Carlson