What Dean says so well here are also the reasons I prefer XML defined
markup, and I don't think it negates the arguments that others have been
expressing here for HTML.  I think each on of them have valid points.  But
it seems to me that there are more reasons to use an XML based vocabulary
than have previously been put forward.

I also agree with him about writing parsers and their performances based on
stricter or looser rule sets.

I also try to see XML vocabularies as having a richer and more accurate rule
set to express the content they encapsulate.  I dream of a true semantic web
were I can find content from searches that are based on arguments and
phrases that are derived from clean document tree analysis of content.  Even
if we have those documents out there, current search methods and technology
are far too primitive to understand that.  Not that the search engine
engineers are dumb, it's just that for all the content out there, there are
only small portions of it that can be stored and analysed semantically, so
there is not much point in doing that regarding ROI.  And I don't agree with
a lot of the way the W3C are handling the semantic web.

-----
Geoff Deering