You have the right idea, but the wrong methodology.  The selectors you need
to use are:

        #idName {
                font-family: Verdana;
        }
        #idName a:link {
                color: #FFF;
        }
        #idName a:visited {
                color: #FFF;
        }
        #idName a:hover {
                color: #FFF;
        }
        #idName a:active {
                color: #FFF;
        }

But it's much easier to write it out this way:

        #idName a:link, #idName a:hover, #idName a:visited, #idName a:active
{
                color: #fff;
        }

Iain