On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 11:22 AM, Ted Drake wrote:

> I think a fieldset could be used outside a form if you are
> using it to group similar links. We can fixate on the name or
> look at the purpose.  It says, the fields inside it are
> related. If the standards say it can be outside a form than
> we can use it to group similar objects.

Let's just clarify this -- the DTD says that a fieldset "can" be outside a
form, but only really because it is defined as a block level element. I
don't think that supercedes the intent of the element though. As you said,
look at its purpose:

"The FIELDSET element allows authors to group thematically related controls
and labels."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-FIELDSET

And controls are form fields of some sort: buttons, checkboxes, radio
buttons, text boxes, textareas, file selects, etc...
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.2

I'd say that using fieldset and legend to present groups of links in this
way is twisting its meaning completely.

If you want the closest semantic relationship possible for presenting a list
of related links, you might consider a definition list. The title of the
group of links is the <dt></dt> and each of the links could be the
<dd></dd>. You might even use a properly-coded, semantically-structured
table to do the job.

My preference would be to use appropriate headings with a <ul></ul>, or even
a nested list structure, but I can't see using fieldset for it...

Best regards,
Derek.
--
Derek Featherstone     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 613.599.9784;   toll-free: 1.866.932.4878 (North America)