On 6/12/04 11:09 AM, "Mordechai Peller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kevin Futter wrote:
>
>> I don't buy the argument that breadcrumbs *have to be* structured as lists.
>> Why? Because they're not a collection of loosely-related list items, like a
>> shopping list or such; rather, a unit of breadcrumbs collectively delineates
>> a *path* to a resource (without resorting to conventional OS-style paths).
>>

> No, they're not loosely related collection of items, they're strongly
> related, so all the more so they should be a list.
>
>> To take the 'breadcrumbs must be lists' argument to its logical extreme would
>> see us marking up sentences as ordered lists, with individual words as list
>> items, simply because each component has a relationship to its neighbours. I
>> don't see any inherent semantic superiority in the list approach in this
>> case.
>>
> A sentence isn't a collection of related item because each word is
> dependent on the rest of the sentence to give it meaning. In a list,
> while the list itself may impart context, each item otherwise stands on
> it's own. Adding or removing items from a list doesn't change the
> meaning of the list, nor its members. Adding or removing words from a
> sentence changes the meaning of the sentence to such an extent that it
> may make the sentence meaningless. As with words of a sentence, to a
> slightly lesser extent, so could be said about sentences of a paragraph.

Yes, breadcrumb elements are strongly related in exactly the same way that
sentence elements (i.e. words) are; and sentences can be rendered with
precise meaning even if some words are omitted (prepositions, conjunctions,
most adverbs, many adjectives). You're chasing your tail here.

> Also, while the order of an ordered list imparts meaning to the list,
> little or no meaning is imparted to its item. Change the order of the
> words of a sentence, not only can the sentence take on new meaning, so
> can its words.

This is true, and in my opinion only makes it more useful in a breadcrumbs
context, as you can't arbitrarily move breadcrumb elements around or omit
them without destroying the meaning of the whole, either.

>> Perhaps the W3C needs to introduce a <breadcrumbs> element?
>>

> In XHTML 2 there's a navigation list (<nl>).

I did not know that - it sounds useful.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College