On 07/12/2004, at 2:19 PM, Darren Wood wrote:

I get _very_ depressed when i see high profile[1] new zealand sites
completely drop the ball[2]...

I'm guessing there's an equal percentage of Australian sites who neglect standards. I don't think it's a NZ-specific issue, and nor do I think "us Aussies" are particularly standards compliant. Obviously us here on the list and many more are, but for every design studio that embraces standards, there are many more who do not.

David Trewern Design (dtdesign.com.au) is a high profile Australian studio that builds great looking sites for high profile companies, but even their brand new sites are based on tables and a lack of standards, yet they're getting some of the biggest and highest paying projects in Australia.

I just let them do their thing, and I'll do mine. Frankly, I don't want or need them to embrace standards -- it creates a point of difference between myself and them, and the longer they build non-compliant sites, the more legacy mark-up and bloat they leave behind (possibly for people like me to clean up a few years from now).

What they do doesn't directly affect me in any way, so like I said, I'll just do my thing, and they can do theirs.

(I'm sure their must be more, and I'd
love see them so I can feel a little better about being a web developer
in NZ.)

Am i missing something? Am i over sensitive?

Why don't you see this as a good thing? It sounds like you one of only a handful of developers that "get it"... that creates a point of difference amongst your competitors, and ultimately an advantage (you can build and maintain sites faster than they can).

If I were you, I'd stop "complaining" and get in there!

---
Justin French, Indent.com.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Application Development & Graphic Design