On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:51:54 +1100, Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that the point of this discussion is partially missed, making font
> size scalable is not just about making a site accessible for people with
> special needs - it benefits everyone! Consider this scenario:
>
> Acme Company hires Zippo Web Dev to create their website
> Zippo decide 8px Arial is really funky for the main text - sells Acme on the
> idea.
> Site is launched, looks beautiful.
>
> John Doe has no disabilities, accesses site, can't read text, his options:
>         Leave site, never to return
>         Tell all his friends what a crappy site it is
>         Email Acme to complain
>         If the information is critical to JD, consider legal complaint under
> Disability Discrimination Act.

I'd vote for first two option. On what ground could he use option 4?

Only what has it to do with being able to scale fonts?
I guess, you assume John Doe uses IE/Win and he knows how to change
font-size: only he cannot to.
Let's modify your scenario:
John Doe uses [any browser] and site is designed with em's, only they
are sized in such a way they look exactly the same size of 8px.
But - JD does NOT know how to change font-size. That leaves as with options:

>         Leave site, never to return
>         Tell all his friends what a crappy site it is
>         Email Acme to complain
>         If the information is critical to JD, consider legal complaint under
> Disability Discrimination Act.

Not much difference here, eh?

That brings us to the original sin:

> Zippo decide 8px Arial is really funky for the main text - sells Acme on the
> idea.

That may bring us to the flame about optimal font-size, please, don't,
I beg you.
Not here, not now.

> Do you think Acme would hire Zippo again?
It depends.  I'd say yes -- they've bought the idea of the 8px font,
haven't they?.
(Who would, anyway ;)

Regards,
Rimantas