window.onload = externalLinks;

This is fine, if it's the only code you are assigning to onload, but it overwrites any previous onloads and is overwritten by subsequent onloads. ...

Another issue is that it works only after loading the whole page... I use it in (testing setup of) a photogallery on http://lesik.cz/index.php?i=4 and visitor "has to" wait for the whole page to load to have it fully functional (Actually they don't wait and the have the less functional version...). So I was wondering if placing the <script> right after all the gallery XHTML instead of having it in <head> and waiting for onload event could help solve this...

--
Jan Brasna :: alphanumeric.cz | webcore.cz | designlab.cz | janbrasna.com