I can't see any problems with your second example in theory - but it's
an impossible question to answer without content. Remember that
(X)HTML elements are supposed to "describe" or "explain" (for want of
better words) the content that they are marking up.

So there aren't any rules as to how header tags should "nest" or "be
ordered", for it depends completely on how you've laid out your
content.

My 2 bob's worth, anyway! ;-)

--
Jason Foss