I'm a bit baffled by this question -- in a way it's not about CSS or HTML or standards at all.

If you want to get good data from your form, and you have two radio buttons, then neither should be checked by default. Your CGI script or whatever should do the checking and return the form with "you must select a button to proceed".

But should the browser really auto-select radio buttons for the user if none is selected? That seems like a very strange decision to me, and wouldn't allow your script to check the form as above.

So that argues that you should use a different kind of control, for instance a SELECT menu. The value of "none" can be the default, and your script can chuck an error if it sees "none" submitted.
"Have You Validated Your Code?"
John Horner (+612 / 02) 9333 3488
Senior Developer, ABC Online http://www.abc.net.au/