That's right.

There are all sorts of metadata and subsets thereof, the most common
standard being the Dublin Core.  Vocabularies, Qualifiers, etc are used to
extend and further define the core elements via subsets.

And if you just can't get enough metadata, try this

http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces#title
http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces#creator

The Semantic Web (W3C) version is all about metadata.  It's not the same
thing as we refer to when we talk about documents being semantically
correct.  In my opinion the W3C Semantic Web Initiative is an admission that
the efforts to make a semantically rich web via semantically correct
documents has failed.  But I don't think the Semantic Web really addresses
the root of the problem.  The major problem is that metadata is not
maintained at the file system level, and only at the document level.  This
makes it almost impossible to track versioning, history, and regenerate web
sites and document sets, and everything else that is associated with proper
document management.  This is "supposed" to be addressed in the next version
of MacX and Windows, but I doubt it.  Also no CMS manages metadata at the
filesystem or at the versioning level.

Also see
http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/overview/
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/