> John Horner wrote:
> >  * floated elements too big for the enclosing element "spill out"
> >  * except on IE, where they stretch the enclosing element
> >
> > that's a bit simplified, but essentially correct, right?
>
> > My question is, *why* is the correct behaviour the first one? It
> > takes a lot of people by surprise and they often see what IE does as
> > the natural and obvious thing to do.
>
> - div A has dimensions and they should be respected,

But even if you don't give Div A a set height it won't expand.

> - no matter the size of the content: div B,
> - except in IE/win, where we need workarounds.
>
> A standard-compliant browser will let us choose if we want the container
> to expand, or not. No height, or min-height only, on div A, and it will
> behave as in IE/win across browserland.

Sorry, I can't test my statement here, so if I am wrong please correct
me, but as far as I remember taking out the set height (or min-height)
of Div B will reduce Div A to 0 height. Floating Div B has got a similar
effect to giving position:absolute - Div A will ignore the existance of
Div B.