I've changed over the menu on http://www.pricklypair.co.nz/ to an unordered
list, I'm reasonably happy with the result, it works fine in Opera, Firefox
and IE6, apart from a slight gap between the hovered link and the next menu
item's left border. I've set margin and padding to 0 on everything and that
didn't make any difference - any ideas how to remove that gap? HTML and CSS
validate ok.

Also, I've used a class 'firstlink' to remove the left border on the first
menu item - I played around with first-child but couldn't get that working
as each anchor was the first-child inside it's list item. Is what I've done
the best/only way or is there a better way.

I believe the relevant section of CSS is as follows, links to stylesheets
below

#menu{
  text-align: right;
  background-color: #060;
  padding: 0 20px;
  margin: 0;
  border-bottom: solid 1px #693;
  border-top: solid 1px #693;}
#menu ul {}
#menu li {
  line-height: 1.8em;
  padding: 0;
  margin: 0;
  list-style-type: none;
  display: inline;}
#menu li a, #menu .thispage {
  color: #f7ffeb;
  text-decoration: none;
  text-align: center;
  border-left: solid 1px #693;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0.3em 1em;}
#menu .firstlink a, #menu .firstlink .thispage {
  border: none;}
#menu li a:hover, #menu li a:active {
  text-decoration: underline;
  background-color: #693}