This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but for the very first time, I've undertaken to code a page (partially) in another language, and in another character set too, and I don't really know how to do it properly.

And it's not just a matter of a few accents here and there -- the language is Vietnamese, which has all kinds of interesting double-diacritics and things like a crossed-out letter "D" (<strike>D</strike> would approximate it).

So, where to start?

The standards way to do it these days is with Unicode, right? In the old days we would have used one of the three different Vietnamese encodings -- TCVN, VPS or VISCII are what FireFox offers me -- but now Unicode should have done away with that stuff?

So, do I code the page in UTF-8? I don't use a special Vietnamese encoding?

And, no matter what you guys tell me, as I don't read the language, someone else will supply me with the text, and I can only pray it's from a Unicode-compliant source?

I tried to educate myself about Unicode by reading Joel Spolsky's "The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)" http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html which was very entertaining, but I'm not sure I got it or I wouldn't be asking...
"Have You Validated Your Code?"
John Horner (+612 / 02) 9333 3488
Senior Developer, ABC Online http://www.abc.net.au/