John,

What I want is the ability to align the content of a DIV, for instance, or any block element, vertically, and I'm asking why it wasn't included in CSS-1.

I can't think of any policy-type reason why it wasn't, that's all, and I don't see vertical alignment as being directly related to table-cell display either.

I can't speak for Hakon Lie or Bert Bos but...

The original proposal was taking shape in 95/95, really before the abomination of tables for layout had ruined the web :-)

So I'm guessing that it simply wasn't something everyone wanted to do, like it is now.

Ditto multi column layout f'rinstance.

Maybe Bert will have an answer :-)

John

John Allsopp

                        :: westciv :: http://www.westciv.com/
                software, courses, resources for a standards based web
        :: style master blog :: http://westciv.typepad.com/dog_or_higher/