From: Albert Gedraitis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 2:58 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Orange and Blue

Perhaps the leading use of blue on websites has to do
with the psychology of the colour.  It is known that in dreams
blue is a recurring phenom associated with comforting
authority, and is often dominant in sleeping dreams,
day dreams, and vivid externalized images (apparitions,
hallucinations).  I have had dreams of my mother coming
from the Interim State (I'm of Reformed Christian tradition,
where "Heaven" is only a metaphor for the Interim State before
the Resurrecton of the Body), and mostly attired in blue.
Also, this kind of phenom is associated with appearances of
the Blessed Virgin in Roman Catholic and Orthodox traditions.

Not just any blue will do, however.  This comfort/authority
deeply-embedded psychic phenom is more a sky-blue, not
very dark, not very pale, not luminescent. [By "psychic," I
don't limit myself to the more esoteric element, but indicate the
whole spread of these types of phenom; I avoid "psychological"
because that precisions a reference to the scientific study of
such phenoms.]

Orange is another matter; and I wonder if anyone out there has
any knowledge of its semiotic values, psychic and otherwise.