Cheers - had wondered about using display:none, but always feel a little annoyed there aren't better ways; it surprises me that an alt tag on the <input type=text /> is insufficient.

One other note--does having an initial value in the text field aid blind readers? Is it advocated by WAI or aid WCAG rules? (I would express a view that it helps visual users).

Sig

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick H. Lauke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Making accessible a one-text field form with an image submit button?

Sigurd Magnusson wrote:

Rule: 12.4.1 - Identify all non-hidden INPUT elements that do not have an explicit LABEL association.
Failure - INPUT Element, of Type TEXT, at Line: 109, Column: 30 in FORM Element at Line: 108, Column: 2

I could put the label around the image button, or have a blank one, but this sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion... ideas?

Firstly: submit buttons and image button do not need an additional label: for submit buttons, the value itself acts as a label; for images, the ALT attribute takes that role.

So your only real problem here is the text input (as the above error message suggests).

<label for="searchterm">Search</label>
<input type="text" name="searchterm" id="searchterm" />
<input type="submit" value="search" />

You can then use CSS to hide the label, if you want...and this is one of those rare cases where even if you use display:none, screenreaders will still "see" the label (due to its explicit tie to the input field).

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/