G'day

1. Technical -- there will be times when the validator shows errors.
> 2. Marketing -- people consider a document validates or doesn't.

It's not only people... "Almost valid" documents will most likely not display if the document in question is served as "application/xhtml+xml".

Therefore, use valid attributes or extract the info you need (e.g. required fields) from values stored in hidden fields. I like Gez's suggestion to use classes.

Using a custom DTD is *in my opinion* a last resort and it may not work reliably ion some browsers (haven't tested that - I always use the standard DTDs).

Still, it would be nice to have additional input types, like "integer", "email" or "currency", to go along with the existing types.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/