-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick H. Lauke
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:57 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] XHTML 1.1 Presentation Module

Trusz, Andrew wrote:

> Here's how xhtml2.0 defines the text module which includes [sup]
[...]
> Note in particular the phrase "in this case it is intended to only
> have a semantic meaning." That seems pretty clear. While that may or
> may not be the current definition of [sup], it certainly seems to be
> headed for a structural/semantic definition since it is defined in this
module.

So split hairs, "in this case *IT* is intended to only have a semantic
meaning". The "semantic meaning" bit only refers to the use of the phrase
'inline level', not to the elements themselves...
However, I'm waiting with baited breath to see how they're going to define
the semantics of elements which are presentational already in their name,
and can contain such disparate types of content as mathematic exponents and
french abbreviations. I'll be the 1<sup>st</sup> one to cheer when it
happens...

--
Patrick H. Lauke

You can let out your breath. The semantic meaning for the inline use is
defined for the elements, attributes and content models defined in the
module. That's the meaning of the entire paragraph: these are inline
elements which have a structural meaning and those meanings are defined in
this module. That's what the paragraph says; that's what the rule says. The
[sup] element means superscript.

The user agent is indicating that some element is a superscript. The content
will provide the ontological framework for recognizing which meaning the
user should attach to the superscript.  So, an aural browser would provide
very different renderings of "e=mc2" and "e=mc[sup]2". When that rendering
is seen or heard, the context can be understood: a math expression, a date,
a french abbreviation, etc.

Language is sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. It's worth remembering that the point of
providing structural/semantic meaning to elements is to make it possible for
machines to catch some of the sophistication hidden in that sloppiness.
Inevitably, there will be friction between machine precision and human
flexibility. Developing rules for every situation would result in a system
so cumbersome that it would simply not be used -- which we almost have with
sgml.

Who knows, different definitions of [sup] may be broken out just as nl is
extracted in xhtml2.0 from ul. Practice at times begets theory.

drew