On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:15:09 +0100, designer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think there has been a misunderstanding. This was asked of me by the
client as an alternative for:

add alternative content
(images, text) inside <object> element.

I had no idea this would be considered cheating, and posted the
question. Why and where can I read about this seemingly dubious
practice?

Whilst I am aware that this is considered bad practice (and I've never done it - ever!) it seems to me that it <em>ought<em> to be GOOD practice,if used properly.

Properly is by providing real, usable alternative inside <object> element.

Keyword-stuffed entry page is not helpful. It's not an alternative to
flash-based site and if you have js and css capable browser with flash disabled,
such page will be completly useless to you.

Flash, as a technology, has some accessibility options, but Macromedia Flash
plugin doesn't seem to offer any accessibllity and IMHO is even far from
being usable (I can't even open links in new window,
"back" doesn't work as expected, etc., etc.)

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński