Hi Jamie,

> Aside from this though, the links are in the same size as the body text,
> wouldn't a high contrast link need to be massive and bold? There's no WAY
> anyone can do that on a high profile site, surely?
> What to do? Any help and ideas would be great, thanks in advance,

I'd suggest giving marketing the top left to do as they will, but keep
the top right to do as you will. Remind them that the average user
scans diagonally from top left to bottom right on the first glance, so
their "prime spot" is at the top left.

Someone looking for an alternative design will probably be a little
more motivated to scan the screen - having watched users with page
zoom software, they are probably faster and certainly more thorough
than the average user. They will more than likely find links at the
top right.

If marketing are having trouble swallowing the idea that the site
needs some functionality as well as sales pitch, you can fall back on
arguments of general usability (backed by legislation).

You could also change the pitch to "site customisation for all users".
Change the links into one link to a preferences page - "Customise font
colour and size" or something. That way it's not for a small subset of
users, it's for everyone. The prime users will still be that small
percentage, but you can argue that actually everyone will use it.

Hope that helps.

cheers,

--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson