From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kornel Lesinski
Sent: 16 May 2005 17:07
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] search engine question

On Mon, 16 May 2005 16:11:26 +0100, Thierry Koblentz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> You have to use good, accessible menu that uses links in HTML.
>> See "son of suckerfish dropdowns".
>
> I'm not sure if CSS menus are really "accessible". IMHO, they lack a
> "timer", browser support is weak and most of them do not allow
> keyboard navigation.

That's the same problem most JS menus have as well.

> On top of that, if not well implemented, they can be totally
> inaccessible to IE users if scripts are disabled.

JS-based menu will fail as well, and not only in IE, but in other browsers.

Having working, styled top-level items are IMHO best way such menu can
degrade.
Otherwise you may get something like few pages of unordered lists or
spaghetti of links, which breaks page layout and isn't more usable.

> FWIW, I'd go with a "DHTML" solution that degrades nicely.

But suckerfish dropdowns is DHTML solution that degrades nicely.

You can get best of both worlds - extend CSS menu to have features of best
JS menu.

Add class to menu and make :hover work only on menu with that class.
Then using JS remove that class and add mouseover/mouseout/focus handlers
that implement closing delay, keyboard navigation, etc.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number
785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS