>I'd been recommended 80% as an ideal default text size by a wide
variety of people, >including, IIRC, the WAI.

>How would you recommend solving the problem?

I would set the font size to 62.5% in the body tag. Then I would use Ems
to set the sizes of all my fonts on the page, By setting the font-size
to 62.5% means that if you enter 1.0em this will = 10px, same as 1.1em =
11px, 1.2em = 12px and so forth, so its easier to work out Ems that way,
they make more sense. Also if you now try and set internet explorer to
"smallest" setting your text is still readable. Same as if you went to
the "largest".

This is what I recommend.